Saturday, April 2, 2011

The way it is

I think the last heifer of this cycle calved at about 10:30 It's a clear starlit night, the nice kind of night for a calf to be born. For the record my percentage of heifer calves born AI looks to be just over 70%, a number that I'm quite pleased with. There are still many more calves to be born this spring, not to mention all the other work to be done, corn to plant, hay to mow, thistles to spray, fence to build, there is always something to do on a farm. However, this will be my last daily post. Several of you have asked if I would continue. I have enjoyed the opportunity to share with you about my role in agriculture. So when were together next week in Sioux Center, I'll listen to your thoughts and I will try to continue this project as a weekly blog.

I contemplated whether or not to use today's photo. But I don't think this project would be complete without it. I feel it represents the end result of my efforts and the efforts of those who support me, and it shows were my world as a farmer meets yours as a consumer.


Today on the farm I stopped at our local Fareway and bought ribeyes. First, in my opinion Fareway has the best meat counter in our state. They have a very simple system, hire good butchers and only sell USDA Choice beef. My production goal is to raise a calf that meets the standards Fareway delivers to you. With all the different brands of beef available it can be rather confusing to the consumer, Keep in mind some brands have very high standards, however, the USDA system is still the envy of the rest of the world and I have nothing but praise to Fareway for providing this high quality beef to all of you.

My other thoughts go to the animal. The idea of raising and caring for a calf, truly doing everything you can to give it the best life possible and then eating it can be difficult for some to process. This is natures way of providing for our needs. The majority of the worlds land is not tillable. Because of this beef production is one of the most sustainable ways that I can use natures resources to feed a hungry planet. What is important to me as a producer is that we all recognize this gift from nature and that we do right by the animal that provides us our food. This simple grace always summed it up for me:

Let this food to us be blessed. May we use the strength it brings, for doing kind and helpful things.




No comments:

Post a Comment