Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Besides learning about production on the farm I hope I can provide some insight into what farmers are like. The man holding the check in the photograph is our local mayor Gordon Kokenge. The check he's holding is a donation from me for disaster relief from the Tsunami for our sister city in Tamana Japan. What I love about this is Gordon and I are neighbors and when it comes to the business of farming were fierce competitors for acres. Business is business and we go at it. This is just the way it is for those of us who make our living in agriculture. However, all that is put aside when our community or one of our neighbors is in need.

Gordon's goal is to raise $100,000 by the end of the month to send to our sister city. The first place he stopped was the local coop. There were several farmers lined up behind me checkbooks ready. He just gave me the chance to be first. There is no doubt in my mind he will meet his goal.When I started in this business a wise old farmer gave me a great piece of advice, he told me, "You always help your neighbor, but your neighbors still your competition" This honest understanding of competitive markets combined with a genuine support for community is one of the characteristics I love about my fellow farmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment