Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Farming and your health

 I mentioned in a previous blog that I would try to share information about the people I work with that have a positive impact on my business. This project would not be complete if I did not mention my Yoga teacher Sara.

I love what I do, however, about four years ago I realized if I want to be able to raise cows the rest of my life I needed to take better care of myself. The abuse your body takes from jumping on and off equipment, walking in mud, lifting heavy things, working long odd hours, and worrying about markets can take it's toll if you let it. On top of all this I believe that the beef I raise is a nutritious product that can be part of a healthy lifestyle. I owe it to myself and my Industry to actively live healthy.

Today after my my work was done I went to yoga class. Here I am with my instructor Sara. Sara has a degree from ISU in fitness, she is an excellent instructor who has had a major impact on my health and therefore my business, as well as the lives countless others in our community. To have an individual with her talent in  a town our size is a treasure.

Yoga is an excellent activity that is good for mind and body alike. If you don't stay flexible your going to wind up with back and knee injuries from farming. These injuries are costly and would keep me from doing what I love. Furthermore, an hour of yoga allows me to clear my mind of the issues of the day. I always make better decisions after class.

I've mentioned earlier that farming is a competitive business. Being able to outwork my competition is important. Taking care of my fitness needs is another angle I work to stay ahead of the game.

1 comment: